Sunday, June 8, 2014

the more things change, the more they stay the same

As I mentioned in my previous post, Jason & I got married 8 days ago on May 31st. Jason & I have lived together since February 2012, so honestly not a whole lot changed after that day. What has changed?

1) I take every opportunity I get to call Jason my husband. The switch from boyfriend to fiancé did not come this easily to me -- fiancé and boyfriend both seem like silly words to me for some reason (not that the level of relationship that they reflect is at all silly), but for some reason "husband" is a term I was able to get behind almost instantly. I've only accidentally called him my fiancé instead of husband a handful of times & I've stated that he is my husband far more times than necessary.

2) My name changed. Not legally, yet (waiting on the marriage certificate so I can tackle the Social Security office) but I've tackled the ever-important Facebook name change and the workplace name change (email, ID badge, business cards, etc.). It's weird switching between my old last name and my new last name depending on the thing I'm signing (ie. my notary stamp is in my old last name, anything I pay for using my debit card requires my old last name, but work letter, thank you cards, etc all get my new name... & I go by my new name now, I am quick to correct anyone who calls me "Amanda Old Last Name" because I hated my maiden name & my new last name is all sophisticated and snazzy sounding.

3) Baby fever is in full-force. I knew this was coming, but tried to keep it to myself as much as possible, but the moment we tied the knot people started asking when the babies would be coming. This may offend some people, but it just gets me more excited for what the future holds... while also terrifying my husband. I'm not saying we need to have a baby in our arms 9 months from today, but as I get closer and closer to turning 30, the thought of having a child weighs heavier in my mind.

4) Our house looks better than ever. I know, talking about registries is taboo for some reason, but we registered at Macy's pretty early on and I used it as a way to track the best sales so that I could get the best deals on things that we really needed ASAP, that weren't purchased for bridal showers, etc. Macy's bridal rewards program is amazing -- 10% back on anything you buy on your Macy's credit card while your registry is active and 5% back on anything anyone buys from your registry. During our engagement I bought (oftentimes with the help of gift cards generously gifted from friends, family & coworkers) new Belgique pots & pans, a Dyson vacuum, Martha Stewart dish sets, and Charter Club towels. This in addition to the items gifted to us at bridal showers and the wedding & our house finally feels like a grown up's house. No more hand-me-downs for us (you know, aside from the many items in our house I've thrifted)! We have enough Macy's gift cards that we're seriously considering upgrading our crappy couch to something new from Macy's furniture store. First we want to wait to see how much we get back from the rewards program -- something we should receive in the next month or so.

5) There is the potential for another change in the very near future that I'm super excited for. I'll fill everyone in on that if and when it works out!

With that, I'm off to finish up my packing. Jason & I are mini-mooning for the next few days at a lake house near the Bourbon Trail in Kentucky. So excited for a relaxing couple days with the love of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment